SUMMARY: More than 25 years of pharmaceutical industry experience in Director and manager roles across multiple disciplines in Commercial Operations and Medical Affairs departments:
- Medical Liaison
- Medical Information
- New Product Planning
- Competitor and Regulatory Intelligence
INDEPENDENT CONSULTAN TO PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY (Summer 2006-present) Scientific and Technical Evaluation of Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Provision of the following services:
- Therapeutic disease area assessments
- Scientific Meetings coverage including event reports
- Medical publication strategy and planning
- Primary authorship, as well as acknowledgments, on articles encompassing original research, state-of-art reviews, continuing education (publications listing at end of CV)
- Product monographs and detail aids
- Contract Medical Information
- Slide series
- Medical Advisory Boards participant
DIRECTOR, MEDICAL SCIENCES (Medical Science Liaison)
- Functioned as a medical liaison supporting pediatric infectious disease products for a biotechnology company
- Responsible for start up of investigator initiated trials, key opinion leader interactions, support of sales force activities, educational role
DIRECTOR, MEDICAL INFORMATION (Glaxo Inc.)
- Directed a staff of 23 and managed a budget ~$1.5 million
- Automated processes for handling large volumes of incoming questions
- Proactively prepared responses to anticipated questions at time of new product launches
- Led technical review of medical sign-off for all promotional materials
- Initiated drug information residency and student clerkship programs
DIRECTOR, NEUROHEALTH MARKETING
- Conducted special projects in support of marketed neurohealth products across multiple indications
DIRECTOR, COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE
- Analyzed and identified licensing and co-promotion opportunities, and potential threats, across multiple therapeutic areas (on an ongoing basis)
- Served as department representative on commercial strategy project teams in emerging therapeutic areas
- Developed concept of Competitive Intelligence Hotline for sales representatives
- Assessed competitor development compounds in more than a dozen therapeutic areas
PAST EDITOR, HOSPITAL EDITION, US PHARMACIST
- Co-editor of Hospital Edition 1983-1985
FOUNDING MEMBER OF MEDICAL COMMUNICATIONS SUBGROUP OF THE DRUG INFORMATION ASSOCIATION
- 8/2006-current: President, Scientific and Technical Evaluation of Pharmaceuticals (private consulting firm)
- 1/2006-8/2006: Director, Medical Sciences MedImmune, Inc.
- 2/2005-12/2005: Director, Neurohealth Marketing GlaxoSmithKline
- 1999-2005: Director, Competitive Intelligence GlaxoSmithKline
- 1993-1999: Head, Primary Research Glaxo/GW
- 1992-1993: Director, Regulatory Intelligence Glaxo
- 1989-1992: Director, Drug Information Glaxo
- 1985-1986: Associate Dir Pharmacy (after hours), Charter Northridge
- 1982-1989: Associate Director, Drug Information Glaxo
- 1980-1982: Clinical Pharmacist, Lenox Hill Hospital, New Yhork
- 1977-1978: Retail Pharmacist, New York
I possess the following character attributes:
- Innovative thinker
- Exceptional analytical and communication skills
- Team oriented
- Attentive to deadlines and details:
- Customer oriented
- Pharm.D. (with honors)—University of Tennessee @ Memphis (1980)
- B.S. Pharmacy (with honors)—Long Island University (1977)
- Top 5 pharmaceutical and biotechnical companies
- Contract Research Organizations
- Medical publication companies
- World’s largest charitable foundation
Dr. Bauman has authored more than 30 publications in medical, pharmacy, and pharmaceutical trade journals. Below is a partial listing of some relevant publications.
- Groothuis JR, Hoopes JM, Hemming VG. Prevention of serious respiratory syncytial virus-related illness. I: Disease pathogenesis and early attempts at prevention. Adv Ther 2011;28:91-109. [acknowledgment].
- Groothuis JR, Hoopes JM, Hemming VG. Prevention of serious respiratory syncytial virus-related illness. II: Immunoprophylaxis. Adv Ther 2011;28:110-125. [acknowledgment].
- Light M, Bauman J, Mavunda K, et al. Correlation between respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) test data and hospitalization of children for RSV lower respiratory tract illness in Florida. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2008;27:512-518.
- Bauman J. CDC urges vaccination for all children. Managed Healthcare Executive July 2008.
- Michael M, Helm E. Graafeiland BV, Malinoski F, Bauman J. Influenza vaccination with a live attenuated vaccine. AJN 2009;109:44-48. http://journals.lww.com/ajnonline/Fulltext/2009/10000/influenza_Vaccination_with_a_Live_Attenuated.29.aspx
- Hoopes JM, Kumar VR. Overview of respiratory syncytial virus disease in young children. Pediatric Health, Medicine and Therapeutics 2012;3:45-50. [Acknowledgment].
- Makari D, et al. Health risks of the late-preterm infant. Neonatology Today 2009;4:1-8 [acknowledgment]. http://www.neonatologytoday.net/newsletters/nt-jan09.pdf
- Welliver RC Sr., Checchia PA, Bauman JH, Fernandes AW, Mahadevia PJ, Hall CB. Fatality rates in published reports of RSV hospitalizations among high-risk and otherwise healthy children. Curr Med Res Opin 2010;26:2175-2181. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20666690
- Groothuis J, Bauman J, Malinoski F, Eggleston M. State-of-the-art. Strategies for prevention of RSV nosocomial infection. J Perinatol 2008;28:319-323.
- Bauman JH. Pediatric journal guidelines on qualification for authorship vary widely. International Society of Medical Publication Professionals 2009 Annual Meeting. Philadelphia, PA (poster).
- Belshe RB, et al. Safety and efficacy of live attenuated influenza vaccine in children 2-7 years of age. Vaccine 2008;26 (Suppl. 4):D10-D16 [acknowledgment].
- Winfret DA, et al. Epidemiology of respiratory syncytial virus in various regions within North Carolina during multiple seasons. NC Med J 2008;69:447-457 [acknowledgment]. http://www.ncmedicaljournal.com/Nov-Dec-08/Wilfret.pdf
- Eggleston M, Bauman JH, Malinoski F. Defending local RSV virology: Rebuttal letter to Hampp and Winterstein. South Med J 2008;101:213-214.
- Bauman JH, Eggleston M, Oquist N, Malinoski F. Respiratory syncytial virus seasonal data for regions of Florida and implications for palivizumab. South Med J 2007;100:669-676.
- Bauman J, Bandell A. The role of vaccination in the prevention of influenza. US Pharmacist December 2007;77-86 (published as a CE article). http://www.uspharmacist.com/continuing_education/ceviewtest/lessonid/105669/
- Eggleston M, Bauman J. Regional respiratory syncytial virus surveillance data for Georgia and implications for prophylactic administration of palivizumab. Accepted as abstract. AAP Meeting, October 2007.
- Levy DJ, et al. A survey of pediatricians’ attitudes regarding influenza immunization in children. BMC Pediatrics 2009;9:8 doi:10.1186/1471-2431-9-8 [acknowledgment]. http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2431-9-8.pdf
- Self TH, Bauman JH et al. Concurrent initiation of heparin and warfarin therapy. Am Heart J 1981;102:470-471.
- Bauman JH, Gelinne M. Maximizing the use of CI consultants: A corporate practitioner’s perspective. Comp Intell Rev 1998;9:3-8.
- Bauman JH et al. Drug information at Glaxo Inc. Drug Info J 1989;23:95-103.
- Bauman JH et al. Evaluation and effectiveness of a pharmaceutical-based drug information service. Drug Info J 1994;28:657-665.
- Bauman JH et al. Increased theophylline clearance in a patient with hyperthyroidism. Ann Allergy 1984;52:94-96.
- Bauman JH et al. Cimetidine-theophylline interaction: report of four patients. Ann Allergy 1982:48:100-102.
- Bauman JH et al. Cimetidine as an inhibitor of drug metabolism: therapeutic implications and review of the literature. Drug Intell Clin Pharm 1982;16:380-386.
- Gaginella TS, Bauman JH. Ranitidine hydrochloride (Zantac). Drug Intell Clin Pharm 1983;17:873-885.
- Bauman JH et al. Factors modifying serum theophylline concentrations: an update. Immunol Allergy Practice 1985;7:259-265.
- Miller JM, Baciewicz AM, Bauman JH et al. Factors modifying serum theophylline concentrations. Immunol Allergy Practice 1983;5:130-151.